Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Spin Catchbar.


I haven't tried downloading the Spin Catchbar yet (I have enough toolbars hogging my screen as it is), but I do love the fact that they have created this option for their audience.
Spin 103.8's listeners are young, savvy and very open to concepts like this. I can see it being a massive success for them.
Once downloaded, the Catchbar sits on your computer just like a Toolbar and it allows you to listen online, see what's playing right now, get artist info, share that info on Bebo or Facebook and also contact the studio.
Very interactive and a real connection with their listeners.
This is the sort of thing that radio needs to be doing, in my opinion; taking it out of the "We're over here and you're over there" thinking of the past and hopping on that social angle.
Younger listeners are harder to attract than older ones as they don't always see radio as relevant to their lives. Hooking up via something like this can be attractive to that demographic and possibly bring a bit of credibility to a radio station.
Will I text Dara Quilty or Steve K in the studio? Maybe...