Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Charlie Wolf.


I was flicking around the TV channels on Sunday evening and for some unknown reason I stopped at the channel called simply 'Red'.
OK, I do know why I ended up here - they were hosting a block of shows called 'Pirate Radio Night'. The anorak in me came out in full force!
I had just missed the first programme but was able to catch the whole of the second one which highlighted the one and only Charlie Wolf.

I first met Charlie back in the early 90s when we both worked together at Atlantic 252 (he was on mornings...I wasn't)!
All I knew about him was that he had come from the States and worked on the off-shore station Laser 558, but that was it.
Charlie in the Laser 558 studio. MV Communicator (Laser's home base).
Charlie was loud, in your face and outspoken. Not too much has changed over the years except maybe he's not as in your face as before. Maybe!
The Red TV show mostly consisted of a Laser-era Charlie wandering around the streets of London filming himself as he spoke to Londoners about radio and life in general. It was some snapshot of that era.

After Atlantic, Charlie ended up working on RedFM in Cork (what's with the 'red' theme)? From there to talkSport in the UK and these days you can see him on Sky News as a regular contributor, as well as showing up on Al-Jazeera, BBC News 24 and other outlets.
Charlie in his 'Atlantic' days.

A long way from the high seas!

You can find more on Charlie on his blog:
or his website: