Thursday, August 13, 2009

JC Stands down.


You may have heard that RTE 2FM programmer John Clarke is stepping down from his position at the end of his current contract.
John is a great man and a real radio person. I can remember listening to his shows on Nova back in the day and then I got a chance to work alongside him on RTE's Millennium 88FM in Dublin just after the pirates closed down. I did a Sunday Oldies show there and John was the producer. He would hand me five bags of albums (one for each hour of the gig) and then, unlike a lot of producers, he would stay and listen to the entire show. Yup, he loves radio - but he loves music just as much!

I went to 2FM after that and then we lost touch...for a while.
We nearly hooked up again in the late 90s. I met John out in Donnybrook to talk about possible future stuff and he was as friendly and enthusiastic as ever. It was obvious how happy he was at the gig and I believe he really is one of the radio legends in this country.

So, whatever he does in the future - I wish him all the very best and I am honoured to have worked alongside the man.